Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Review: The Captain Rebel by C.B. Halverson

Title: The Captain's Rebel
Series: Irish Heroines (Book 1)
Author: C.B. Halverson
Publisher: Entangled
Release Date: April 3, 2017
Page Count: 266
ISBN #: 978-1544758817
Genre: Historical, Romance
Heat Level: Erotic
My Rating: 2 hearts

Purchase links:
Amazon ~ B&N ~ iTunes ~ Kobo

Novel links:
Goodreads ~ Publisher Website

Book Blurb:
Land. Power. Influence. Mary O’Malley knows these are the only things that matter in her war-torn country. Determined to win back her ancestral home, she must embark on a journey across the Atlantic disguised as a cabin boy. But her ruse brings her under the control of a dangerous sea captain who demands from her the one thing she will never give—complete and total submission.

Captain Richard Grant runs a tight ship, and he didn’t claw his way up through the ranks of the Royal Navy to be undone by a headstrong Irish girl hell-bent on jeopardizing his mission and his crew. If she insists on dressing like a man, then she can take his punishments. He demands obedience, but his insatiable need for her leads to a complex game of sex, desire, and dominance, not even he can control.

Awakened by the passion Grant stirs in her, Mary finds herself falling for the stern captain. But when her false identity leads to rumors of her spying for the French, she must choose between her love for Ireland and the man who commands her body—and her heart.







   Since I am a huge fan of romance I expect to find a book that will deliver on all aspects of the actual theme and when I selected "The Captain's Rebel," as part of my review profile I was expecting to find such traits. Morosely, this was a novel that I did not overall favor as I certainly did not care for the romance that I discovered. I use the term "romance," lightly because what was exchanged between the characters within this book more sex rather than actual to-die-for romance and that just didn't settle well with me.
  
Don't get me wrong a romantic foundation needs solid sensual content, but this book was far more Erotic in nature than in romance. This is my largest complaint not only with this book but with the Erotic genre in its entirely. I want more than just wall banger sex I need the satisfaction of a romantic HEA-ending. At least I root for the ending, especially in a historical-fiction novel. 

 I also did not like the overall writing of the book as it felt dry. I did not find this book to be entertaining and I wish that were not the case because this story had such potential. In my opinion, it needed a deeper plot, the author needed to go beyond the traditional lines of the genres, take bigger and bolder risks. I wanted an adventure in the great, vast of the ocean. I wanted a Captain to sweep me off the shore, not punish me with a whip and sex. Too over the top for this book.

Had this book been dialed down with the sex, pushed forward with the romance and been more of a wild adventure I would have liked it. To be fair this is not the worst book I have ever read. It is, in fact, a decent read, just isn't my ideal read. 

No comments :

Post a Comment